h1

Oops!

January 12, 2009

In my haste to record and air Episode #12, I forgot to post here as well as on the DTP Notes Page!  :”)

:apologies:

Since I am catching up with you, I must warn you that this post will be quite heavy with the photos…  But you don’t mind, do you? ;)

My Holidays were bustling as each of yours were, I am sure.  Still, I did manage to find a few moments of solitude in the forms of knitting, spinning and dyeing, every now and then.  My only true knitting obligation was a ‘neck warmer’ of sorts to be ‘sent back’ to the wonderful Fibers, who gifted me a Magnificent MYB (see last post).  Fibers’ yarn was a gorgeous merino/silk blend and I must admit, I had a very trying time deciding just what to do with it.  

Ultimately, I chose to knit a mobius cowl, something with a nice amount of drape to play up the silk content of the yarn.  I thought this cowl could be worn not only to keep the neck warm but also the head, by pulling the back up as a hood or worm simply to dress up an outfit.  

 

Mobius Cowl

Mobius Cowl

Mobius Cowl

Mobius Cowl

From there, I went on to dyeing.  I had spun up some Corriedale, labeled as Bobbin No. 5 and it has been sitting here just waiting to become something.  DD had received some yoga gear for Christmas, one of which was a yoga mat.  The yoga mat, we quickly learned, did not come with a carry strap or sack as advertised. :/ Mom to the rescue, well sort of.  I told DD I would knit her a sack but it may take awhile.  In the meantime, we dyed Bobbin No. 5, resulting in this:

 

Bobbin No. 5 Hand Dyed

Bobbin No. 5 Hand Dyed

Not too bad.  Most importantly, she likes it!

After we dyed that skein of yarn, I realized I really wanted to spin.  I pulled out 4 oz of Corriedale and started right away.  The next morning I had 4 oz of this:

 

MY Sock Yarn!

MY Sock Yarn!

I will admit, I was so pleased with myself.  I had finally managed to spin 4 0z of somewhat consistent yarn, and sock yarn no less!  

I toyed with the idea of just casting on for a pair of socks.  But, I then thought of the dyeing I really wanted to do… mixing and testing new colors and trying lime instead of vinegar to fix the color.  I decided to split the 4 oz into mini skeins and soaked them overnight.  The next morning, after breakfast, after lunch, after playing with the kids, after dinner… OK, it was the next evening ;)  after the kids were in bed and DH was in his office, I started a few dye pots and after an evening of dyeing and a day of drying, I ended up with this:

 

Dye Night Bounty

Dye Night Bounty

 

 

First, I wanted to replicate the color I had mistakenly made for the Blue Booties.  I think I came very close, what do you think?

 

Darkest Blue

Darkest Blue

After pulling the above yarn from the pot, I noticed there was much dye left.  I plunked in another mini skein and the results were surprisingly pleasing:

 

Surprise Blue

Surprise Blue

Believe it or not, there was still so much dye left in the pot!  I then reserved the dye pot to later dye some top.  

 

Surprise Blue Top

Surprise Blue Top

 

 

 

 

From there, I was in search of forest colors.  Green and Brown is what I was after.  Green and a Rusty Brown is what I got:

 

Green

Green

Rusty

Rusty

While the brown is not the shade I was going for, I am pleased with the resulting color.  I can see this color on my feet ;)

After the green and rust skeins were dyed, each dye pot still had some color left.  I decided to play with my “Exercise Yarn”, resulting in this:

 

Exercise Yarn

Exercise Yarn

I think this will be knit up and felted for some future projects DD has in mind.  No waste! :)

My Holiday ended just after the New Year, this is when I allowed myself to log in at Ravelry.  There I had discovered the BOM KAL in Monthly Adventures Group had begun.  Fibers had selected a Moss Stitch block, my favorite textured stitch.  Since I had been knitting that stitch for the Kenobi, I decided to search for a stitch pattern which incorporated Moss Stitch into it. 

 

Tumbling Blocks

Tumbling Blocks

I’ve loved this stitch pattern for baby blankets and thought having a block of my very own would be nice.  

I mentioned in the Podcast, my children and I spent several hours over the Holidays, spinning.  After which, DS1 presented me with this:

 

Qs Lego Spindle!

Q's Lego Spindle!

Yes!  My DS1 fashioned a working spindle out of Lego parts!  You can see the yarn we started, wrapped around the shaft.  

I think that is all for now… see you next week!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: