No, it’s not a silly game. I have had a fairly productive week in my fiber loves.
First, I had some yummy Angora spinning fiber arrive. I had been waiting for this fiber so that I can partake in the Spinner’s Study group in Ravelry. As soon as the fiber arrived I yanked off a handful and tried to fluff it up. I decided to use my hand cards, this required five passes through the cards to make the rolags nice and fluffy.
I started a bobbin with a few pure Angora rolags. Ulitmiately, I found fiber to be fairly easy to spin but initially we had a few minutes to get to know each other. Once the rolags were finished spinning, I decided to blend some angora with some dyed Corriedale. This time I blended on my mini-makeshift-hackle, as I do not own any hand combs – yet. The Angora did not blend thoroughly and I am sure it would have blend better on the hand cards but – well, the final result was still nice to spin and looked pretty too.
Then I decided to blend more Angora with some Merino, again on my mini-makeshift-hackle. And, again, not very thoroughly blended but still, loved the feel, the spin and the end result.
I then carded and spun a little more pure Angora onto the bobbin. I felt pretty good with the fiber and I feel as though I understand it better now than I did fresh out of the bag. I decided that my exercise was finished and hoarded the remaining 3 ounces into the stash, to be blending for a future project. ;)
I should note now, that this month’s SAL in Spinner Central in Ravelry was to be a bust for me initially. I had some Romney I had purchased in Etsy. Before I placed the order, I asked lots of questions about the fiber such as: is it clean, is it clear (of nepps), etc. When the fiber arrived, I began spinning and discovered that the 4 ounces were loaded with VM, nepps and even a bug! I was really disappointed with the fiber and contacted Etsy about it. They let me know that this seller has a few strikes against them and had voluntarily closed shop. However, I did manage to pick most of the ick out as I spun and I suppose it turned out alright:
I also started some dye pots this past week. I dyed a bunch of sock yarn, I plan to donate 1 skein to my DD’s shop, to add 1 skein to my stash and possibly to sell the other 2 skeins. I haven’t taken any photos yet as I’d like to make the skeins first. I will most likely have pictures by next week’s post.
After that pot was exhausted, I started a pot of a green-ish color. Into the pot went a few ounces of BFL and Corriedale, for the kids spindling. I am pretty surprised at the difference in color between the two, the BFL is noticeably darker than the Corriedale. I can’t figure out why. Still, both colors are nice and most importantly, the kids like them.
I went on to dye some more Corriedale, over 4 ounces this time and hand dyed instead. I chose three colors: a teal, a light blue and a dark blue. I dotted the colors in sequence throughout the top and then steamed it. It did not turn out at I had envisioned, but still very pretty:
I am not sure yet what I will do with this. I may use it but I may also consider selling it, too.
As for knitting, I did start the Transformer’s Hat for DS2. It is a great knit and all the kids love it, even the biggest kid – DH ;)
I hope to be finished with it by Friday – wish me luck!
The newest and latest happening is Crochet… for those who do not know, I can’t crochet. Nope, not a bit. I have always had issues with the fiddlyness of it and besides, knitting seemed far more elegant anyhow. But, secretly, it eats me up that I can not crochet! Palomabella to the rescue! Palomabella created a great crochet tutorial in the Monthly Adventures Group in Ravelry, and this month she started a CAL involving Broomstick Lace. I agreed to join in the fun but felt hopeless of my success. After several failed attempts, I finally got it and am learning to love it!