In my haste to record and air Episode #12, I forgot to post here as well as on the DTP Notes Page! :”)
Since I am catching up with you, I must warn you that this post will be quite heavy with the photos… But you don’t mind, do you? ;)
My Holidays were bustling as each of yours were, I am sure. Still, I did manage to find a few moments of solitude in the forms of knitting, spinning and dyeing, every now and then. My only true knitting obligation was a ‘neck warmer’ of sorts to be ‘sent back’ to the wonderful Fibers, who gifted me a Magnificent MYB (see last post). Fibers’ yarn was a gorgeous merino/silk blend and I must admit, I had a very trying time deciding just what to do with it.
Ultimately, I chose to knit a mobius cowl, something with a nice amount of drape to play up the silk content of the yarn. I thought this cowl could be worn not only to keep the neck warm but also the head, by pulling the back up as a hood or worm simply to dress up an outfit.
From there, I went on to dyeing. I had spun up some Corriedale, labeled as Bobbin No. 5 and it has been sitting here just waiting to become something. DD had received some yoga gear for Christmas, one of which was a yoga mat. The yoga mat, we quickly learned, did not come with a carry strap or sack as advertised. :/ Mom to the rescue, well sort of. I told DD I would knit her a sack but it may take awhile. In the meantime, we dyed Bobbin No. 5, resulting in this:
Bobbin No. 5 Hand Dyed
Not too bad. Most importantly, she likes it!
After we dyed that skein of yarn, I realized I really wanted to spin. I pulled out 4 oz of Corriedale and started right away. The next morning I had 4 oz of this:
MY Sock Yarn!
I will admit, I was so pleased with myself. I had finally managed to spin 4 0z of somewhat consistent yarn, and sock yarn no less!
I toyed with the idea of just casting on for a pair of socks. But, I then thought of the dyeing I really wanted to do… mixing and testing new colors and trying lime instead of vinegar to fix the color. I decided to split the 4 oz into mini skeins and soaked them overnight. The next morning, after breakfast, after lunch, after playing with the kids, after dinner… OK, it was the next evening ;) after the kids were in bed and DH was in his office, I started a few dye pots and after an evening of dyeing and a day of drying, I ended up with this:
Dye Night Bounty
First, I wanted to replicate the color I had mistakenly made for the Blue Booties. I think I came very close, what do you think?
After pulling the above yarn from the pot, I noticed there was much dye left. I plunked in another mini skein and the results were surprisingly pleasing:
Believe it or not, there was still so much dye left in the pot! I then reserved the dye pot to later dye some top.
Surprise Blue Top
From there, I was in search of forest colors. Green and Brown is what I was after. Green and a Rusty Brown is what I got:
While the brown is not the shade I was going for, I am pleased with the resulting color. I can see this color on my feet ;)
After the green and rust skeins were dyed, each dye pot still had some color left. I decided to play with my “Exercise Yarn”, resulting in this:
I think this will be knit up and felted for some future projects DD has in mind. No waste! :)
My Holiday ended just after the New Year, this is when I allowed myself to log in at Ravelry. There I had discovered the BOM KAL in Monthly Adventures Group had begun. Fibers had selected a Moss Stitch block, my favorite textured stitch. Since I had been knitting that stitch for the Kenobi, I decided to search for a stitch pattern which incorporated Moss Stitch into it.
I’ve loved this stitch pattern for baby blankets and thought having a block of my very own would be nice.
I mentioned in the Podcast, my children and I spent several hours over the Holidays, spinning. After which, DS1 presented me with this:
Q's Lego Spindle!
Yes! My DS1 fashioned a working spindle out of Lego parts! You can see the yarn we started, wrapped around the shaft.
I think that is all for now… see you next week!